Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Making a four string neck part 4 (beveling the neck)

After I cut the frets I am ready to bevel the back sides of the neck on the bandsaw following some guide lines. the neck in cross section will look like the picture below.
 
 I mark the neck .4 from the bottom and draw a line the whole length of the neck (lines with arrow indicators are the two cuts. if you study the next two drawings you'll see what I'm talking about. Cut 2 actually will be done first (don't ask) and the bandsaw will be set at 90 deg. then cut 1 will be done second and the bandsaw will be set to 45 deg.













now that I beveled the back the neck will sit nicely in the vee blocks on the fret press. but first I glue on the ears so we have enough wood to make the shape headstock I want. you can put them however you want for the shape you need. I put wax paper wherever the glue will squeeze out and don't worry about over seepage, I can just sand that right down with the palm sander. The ears also strengthen the first (center) joint.


Quick clamps are the bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment