Search This Blog

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ukelele made from organically grown speckled swan gourd



Two years ago I planted a couple speckled swan gourds around my chicken fencing. It seems the gourds really love the nutritious soil produced from years of decaying chicken poop and they grew to enormous proportions. normally these types of gourds are around 2/3 of the size that they reached in my garden. I decided to try and make a ukelele using one of them. above are pics of the fresh gourds. the one on the vine is less than half its final size which is seen in the other pic and stands about two feet tall. After having some success with my first incomplete build I decided that this is what i really want to do, so this year I built a 25 foot long archway using 20 foot re-bar and grew the gourds up and over the trellis causing the emerging gourds to cover and hang down into the tunnel. this is essential for ensuring that the gourds grow nice and straight in the neck area so i can use the actual gourd neck for the ukelele neck. normally these would be grown on the ground causing the neck to bend over and look like a swan, hence the name Speckled Swan. here are a few picks of the garden trellis/tunnel, they are not the greatest pics and these pics were taken when the gourds were still adolescents but you'll get the idea.

1 comment:

  1. I am drying/curing my gourds but wondering how long is the process. Do you have tips?

    ReplyDelete